Cash, the Real Hero


I think it’s fair to argue that Cash is the most sympathetic character in the book (with the exception of Dewey Dell). His stoic personality shines through his initially awkward and systematic narration, act of refusal to complain at any point in the story, and his caring and sweet labor of love in making Addie her coffin. But I also think that Cash is the coolest character in the book. I can’t help but man-crush a little on this dude. This guy radiates masculine cool-ness like middle-school boys and their Axe body spray. An extremely skilled carpenter, with a no-nonsense personality, Cash is a very admirable character.

Mr. Mitchell’s case for Anse as the potential protagonist for the novel was very convincing, but after having finished the book, Cash seems to be a better fit as the ‘hero’ in the traditional sense. Anse’s corrupt actions of manipulation by taking Dewey Dell’s money, and of course the extremely creepy hastened marriage to a stranger only hours after burial of his deceased wife. Even from the beginning, Anse was portrayed as a sort of ironic hero, playing on the noble, strong and good hero archetype. He was the exact opposite, weak and somewhat selfish, pitifully useless in a lot of ways. On the other hand, Cash was portrayed as the maybe sometimes clumsy in everything but carpentry, but as a good-willed and noble character. He was, to me at least, the most relatable male character in the novel. Cash’s change in his narration at the end of the novel reveal the change that Cash has gone through as a person, shaped by his hero’s journey arc.

I think a good case can be made for Cash being the main protagonist, but maybe I would just like him to be the main protagonist because I like the guy so much. What do you think?


Comments

  1. Nice post. I agree with Cash as being the hero. I think Cash's stoicism really appeals to me personally. I wish his emotions were better portrayed in the film, especially his monologue list scene. Cash has just been through too much to not be a hero. I don't believe I like any other character in the novel nearly as much as Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be clear, I'm not insisting that Anse *is* the "hero" of the novel. I'm saying that, as the thing gets under way, he's in the structural position of the would-be hero: he gets the "call" and sets the journey in motion. But it's not at all clear that he's suited to serve in this capacity, and his leadership ("If there was a bridge, we could just go across") is definitely lacking at a number of key moments.

    And I haven't tried to hide my own man-crush on Cash in this novel. I agree with you about his stoic heroism and his strong sense of values and pragmatism, but also I'm struck by his complex moral reflections, especially around Darl and his fate, at the end. In many respects, Cash is the unacknowledged "conscience" of the family. And I'm very happy that he ends up getting that graphophone. It's a shame Darl can't enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I agree that out of all the children (excluding Dewey Dell) Cash is the main hero. Initially I found it hard to relate to him because of his short and to-the-point narration. I also was a little upset that he was building the coffin right in front of Addie. But very soon all my hesitations with him as a character were gone. I felt sympathy toward Dewey Dell the most but Cash would would be the next in line for most sympathetic (maybe share a spot with Vardaman).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts