Balto: The gray-coated wolfdog

            The best way to describe the movie Balto is that it’s basically the story of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, except Balto, the main character, is shunned for being a wolf-dog (part dog part wolf), not because of a red nose, and that the stakes are much bigger than Santa Claus potentially delaying the delivery of his presents to the kids of the world. Balto is a movie based on a real life story of a wolf-dog that led a dog-sled team that transported a life-saving serum in horrible stormy conditions.

            The movie begins depicting Balto’s father-son relationship with a goose, Boris. Their unlikely relationship coupled with how Balto is drawn to look somewhat like a mutt with his muted gray coat and lean body, let me immediately project myself onto him. He was an oddball, and as later shown through the townspeople rejecting him in the later scenes, he was an outcast, looked down upon for his half&half identity. I immediately related to Balto unconsciously because at the time of watching the movie, I was very young, and I had recently immigrated to America. My English was not good, I didn’t understand American culture so I was the oddball of the class, and most importantly, my family was poor, ugly. I didn’t wear nice clothes, didn’t have fancy haircuts, and didn’t have the cool school supplies like my peers did. This was unlike Steele, an Alaskan Malamute, who was the pride of the dog-sleds in town, the primary antagonist of the film. His coat was big, beautiful, and majestic, exactly the opposite of Balto. It was easy for me to also project the kids that bullied me, and the kids that I was jealous of onto Steele who was malicious, powerful, and cocky. In the movie Steele fends off Balto from leading the dog sled several times even though Balto proves how he is worthy for the position. Even understanding that Balto is a better sled-dog, Steele, out of jealousy and pride, uses the excuse of Balto being a wolf-dog, and physical aggression as a way to keep him away. Further, I even projected my parents onto Boris, who were odd and outcasts in their own ways, a mentor figure in my life, but weak(poor) and unable to provide the support when most needed. And within these characters that I could place the real people in my life onto, the most compelling aspect of this movie was how Balto was an underdog that rose up within the circumstances. 

            But Balto while there were some unarguably deus ex machina moments in the movie, I was wonderstruck by this movie because of how Balto often won conflicts and even brought the literal heroic journey home through his skill and intellect, not through abusive power or unfair advantage. For example, Balto lives in his fight against a grizzly bear by leading it out onto the thin ice where it falls through and drowns. He also ousts Steele and proves himself by winning against him in a dog race early on. There was a relatability in the way that Balto overcame the conflicts that he faced. 

            After watching the movie, two things stuck with my little-Abraham brain. One was the motivations of Balto. The way that he suffered through the obstacles, and easily gives into self-sacrifice for a greater good, instilled in me a recognition of nobility. After watching the movie, ending where Balto delivers the serums and the sick children on their deathbeds all recover, I felt proud. I was inspired to similarly help others when I could in hopes of feeling that same pride again. Balto became a figurehead of my morality. I wanted to live just like him. Second thing was that in the ultimate sacrifice scenes of the movie where Balto has been abandoned and is on the verge of death, he realizes that being a wolf-dog isn’t a oddity or anything to be ashamed of, but rather an advantage because of his superior sense of smell which he uses to navigate the sled team home. The realization that being both American and Korean was something to be proud of was not exactly something that became conscious in that moment. But the movie planted that seed for later realization in my life. 

            After watching the movie Balto, I watched it again and again, and became obsessed with sled dogs. I would read for days, encyclopedias about dogs, and read more books like The Call of the Wild by Jack London, thirsty for a similar story, a similar experience to watching Balto. I was attached to this idea of companionship and love between a dog and a human, and the heroism of the traditional “companion”. But in the end, I think my obsession was mostly inspired by the relatability of the characters, and depiction of the nobility in self-sacrifice for the greater good.

Comments

  1. Cool post. I can totally understand what you're saying about relating to Balto, being a second-generation immigrant myself. There were definitely many moments in my life (and I expect them to continue) that I felt super out of place in the country I was born in. The way you describe Balto, he's also relateable to me for the same reasons that you list. I might go and watch that movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to what you’re saying. Being an immigrant, I felt like being an outcast; I didn’t speak the language nor act the same way. It’s great that you were able to relate to Balto and used him as a guide for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how much I love Balto, and my six year old brother is currently in a big Balto phase which gives me an excuse to watch the movie all the time. As a kid I always looked up to Balto because of his, as you mentioned, self-sacrificing heroic qualities. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Abraham! I think a lot of us, whether or not we admit it, relate a lot to your descriptions of Balto as an underdog and someone who is out of place. Particularly at Uni, but also in the Champaign-Urbana community at large, I think a lot of people, regardless of whether or not they show it, at times feel very out of place. The message you portray in this post is an inspirational one which everyone should learn from. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this is beautiful. It makes me want to watch this movie. I think the realization you came to is really beautiful - that being different is not a weakness, it's a strength. That's really important. Additionally, like you with the dogs, I got super interested in snakes after watching Kill Bill (where all the assassins had snake codenames). It planted in me, like you, all these subconscious ideas of confidence that would emerge later in life - namely that my work ethic would pay off and that the way that I looked wasn't important, it was the things I did through determination that would define me. This post just really reaffirms to me how important it is for people to have heroes - everyone has a journey, everyone has battles they can't win unless they fight the battles within themselves, and having someone to show them how to do that is so so important. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really interesting! I used to watch this movie all the time as a kid, but I never thought about it at a more in depth level. As a half Korean/half white teenager, I understand not feeling like you fit in with the majority, but seeing how you used your differences to build yourself up and become stronger rather than let them drag you down is really inspiring. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts