Roger Deakins, My Idol.


Disclaimer: This is gonna be a nerdy blog post.

O Brother Where Art Thou was the name of a movie that sounded very familiar, but I couldn’t quite grasp where I knew it from. I mistakenly attributed the familiarity to the Coen brothers, but then was oh so pleasantly surprised from the very first scene of the movie. The legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins had shot this movie.

I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a film nerd, but I would definitely call myself somewhat of a cinematography nerd (which isn’t really even a thing, I just made it up). I’m not super versed in the vast library of classic films, but I have probably seen most of the iconic shots in those films. And the opening shots of the film, along with the baptism scene and the initial recording scene, I had seen many of these scenes before, although I had never watched the movie before.

For those who do not know of Roger Deakins, he is the visual genius who was the cinematographer for a huge selection of movies such as the recent Blade Runner 2049, Skyfall, The Shawshank Redemption, so many more (80 DP credits to his name!) and has worked very closely with the Coen Brothers in their films (No Country for Old Men, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, etc).

If you’re confused as to what a cinematographer is, I recommend you watch this video essay on Roger Deakins, explaining why Deakins is so awesome. (I tried writing about him, but it was suuuper rambly and not very good, so you’re welcome haha).

But moving away from Roger Deakins himself, and towards the movie we watched: O Brother Where Art Thou. This movie was the first movie that was color graded digitally, ever! (start at 6:00 if you don’t want to watch the whole thing).  

Comments

  1. Nice post. I totally agree with you. One of those little touches that I hugely appreciated from O Brother Where Art Thou were those wide sweeping shots of the Mississippi back roads. They would only be up for a few seconds at a time but I really felt like they contributed hugely to the enjoyment of the movie. I watched some of the videos you linked and I kinda get it. My favorite shot might be when they first pick up Tommy Johnson on the side of the road, but there are a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post was a nice bucket of cold water for me! I tend to have a problem with forgetting about the work that goes on backstage to get a movie like this to function, so thinking about people like the cinematographer, and the background crew is something really important in my mind. As a side note, I also ran across an article which described the filming of the baptism scene. It was something that really made me think about the struggles of filming, since the baptism lake was extremely boggy and apparently a lot of their filming equipment was getting stuck and stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts